Skincare is easily my favourite time of the day; I enjoy giving my face a massage and feeding my skin with the nutrients it needs. I had a hard time finding a routine that worked for me, especially because my skin has transitioned from oily to somewhat dryer over the last year but I have finally found the routine that works for me.
Cosmetically, I choose to avoid wearing heavy makeup and prefer to keep things natural, so having a glowing base was always something I knew I needed to achieve. What works for me might not work for you, and I’m no dermatologist, but I felt it was worth sharing in case you’re in the same predicament as me.
Why is glowing skin in?
The ‘glowing skin’ aesthetic has been popular for several years, and as the more natural look returns, many people want to emulate it. It not only reflects good health, but it also makes for a great base for makeup application.
- Water – I know water is mentioned in almost every skincare article or blog post, but it really does help. I aim to drink at least 2 litres every day, but I don’t always succeed. I started using chia seeds in my morning water, and I’m not sure whether they’re helping my skin, but it’s a lot more supple, hydrated, and youthful.
- Medik8 Surface Radiance Cleanse – This cleanser contains AHA and BHA hydroxy acids, which are very new to my routine and I didn’t have the best of times when I initially tried it out. It works by exfoliating dead skin gently to expose a smoother, softer surface. I only use this every other day in the evening because I experienced a reaction when I first started using AHA and BHA.
- Good Molecules Glycolic Exfoliating Toner – A glycolic toner is a must-have in my skincare collection, and I especially like this one from Good Molecules. I use this in the mornings before applying my SPF and moisturiser, and it makes my skin appear much brighter.
- Peace & Pure Timeless Elixir Facial Serum – If you only ever use one serum in your routine make it this one. I use around 5 drops of this every morning and my skin loves it, it absorbs quickly and leaves a natural glow.
- Healthspan Daily UV Defence SPF 50 – My go-to sunscreen. This stuff is fantastic and relatively inexpensive. I dislike SPFs that make my skin feel greasy, and while this one is thick and sticky, it isn’t necessarily oily. This is the final step in my morning skincare routine, and it gives my skin the youthful glow I desire making the perfect base for my makeup application
As I said I’m not a dermatologist, so I can’t guarantee that these products will work as well on your skin as they do on mine, but these items have been my holy grails for the past few months.
I’m always open to finding additional products that help me get that glowing look, so please leave a comment below if you have any suggestions!
*contains gifted products