Living with Irritable Bowel Syndrome can have a huge impact on everyday life. For many people, IBS is just a term for describing somebody with a bad stomach ache….but let me tell you, it’s far from that. At the moment my IBS is well controlled and I’ve not had a flare-up for some time but for others, it can be a different story so I thought I’d clear up some IBS myths.
5 myths about IBS
- Stress causes your Irritable Bowel Syndrome – Stress can be a factor of irritable bowel for many people, it’s not the main cause. I can be known to be a little stress now & again but my IBS personally isn’t down to stress.
- IBS is the same for everybody – is a headache the same for everybody? I think until you’ve been diagnosed you don’t really know what to believe. Symptoms vary from person to person – some only have mild symptoms whereas others have more severe symptoms.
- Cutting out gluten & dairy gets rid of symptoms – If it was this easy, I’m sure everybody would be doing it. Don’t get me wrong I’ve got intolerances to gluten & dairy, but I also can’t consume foods such as onion & garlic. When I do consume garlic….my gosh does my stomach bloat. So no, cutting out gluten & dairy from your diet doesn’t always get rid of symptoms.
- IBS isn’t a real disease – I get this all of the time! I know a lot of people probably don’t see this as a ‘real’ disease and to be fair, before I was diagnosed neither did I. As I said earlier, I think you need to personally have it to realise how ‘real’ it is.
- It’s all in your head – I can see why people would think this, I mean what’s a stomach ache too some people? People get stomach aches all of the time so I 100% get this point but an IBS flare-up/stomach ache can be unbelievably painful to deal with.
Those myths are 5 of the biggest ones that get to me so bad when people who know very little on the subject feel the need to comment. Don’t get me wrong, there’s probably a lot I still don’t know myself as I’m learning about IBS constantly!
If you wanna read more posts on IBS, be sure to let me know in the comment section. Don’t forget to subscribe to my email list to get notifications of new posts and please do go and check my Youtube & Instagram out if you wanna know what I’ve been getting up to!
Love Aimee x